Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Water & Soda

I am a water snob. Can't help it, I'm from the Rocky Mountain Northwest and the water there is supreme. Moving out East one of my main concerns was "how is the water going to be?" It's a big deal, I know me and I knew I would be stubborn enough to filter it or have it sit in the fridge long enough to get the metal taste out of it if I didn't like it.

On our first hotel stay here in Toledo I decided to drink straight from the sink; conclusion, whew! The water in this part of Ohio is good. We later learned that we get our water from the Lake above us. The downside, you can't just turn on the sink and move the faucet to cold and wait for cold water. The longer the water runs the more lukewarm- warm your water will get. I have been so spoiled there are so many random things like that I have learned about living across the country haha.

When I went to Florida 3 years ago I decided that the worse water I have ever had was there. This opinion was only cemented when I returned this summer. When my family all drove out to Ohio last summer we stopped in Illinois. Initially we wanted water, upon tasting the water we quickly changed our minds, it was yucky. My Mom then all to eagerly decided to have a diet coke instead, bad choice the soda tasted like someone had put fish flavoring in it. Conclusion bad water= bad sodas also true in Florida.

Then we have Toledo. I have been to many fast food places since we have moved here, that's part of the being homeless, and have had several opportunities to drink soda. The soda here in Toledo has that awful fish flavor! It makes no sense to me, and I would say I was crazy (haha yea, yea) but David says he can taste it too. Anyone know of why the water would be good but the soda not? My best conclusion is where the soda is coming from. Minus McDonald's though because their coke is totally normal. If I buy a sealed bottle it is just fine, but all the restaurants are hit and miss. This puzzles me more, restaurants are hooked up to syrup for soda and carbonated water, which I figured since they only change the syrup that the water is local. It seems like bottled could be bad if it was bottled somewhere that the water is bad and local soda would be good. I don't know. But I feel like I have been rambling a lot so I will end it like that, the end.

4 comments:

Annie & JT said...

It might be the way they mix the soda, or how they clean the machines. I know in Illinois they have extra flouride in the water and it makes soda taste nasty, but you can't really taste it, when drinking plain water. maybe that's it?

Unknown said...

I am totally a water snob too! haha! I never trust out if state water in restaurants!!

Cailey said...

Huh... I've never been outside of the west coast area to know that! I mean I've heard in some area's that the water tastes yucky. but I've only really have experienced Idaho/Utah, nevada, CA... Um WY MT... so far those (from what I recall) are all okay.... so ya. hmm. you should mail me a sample of this odd water. LOL just kidding. kinda. lol ;)

Charlotte said...

You are lucky. The water here is so gross. We have to buy bottled water all the time.

More to Read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Visitors since June 2010