Anytime I hear that there is an Idaho ANYTHING I have to take a picture of it. So here you go in the middle of DC, Idaho Ave. I learned that there is a street for every state and letter of the alphabet EXCEPT for the letter J. You will never find a J st. Why you might ask? Because back in the day I and J were interchangeable. For example on many of Thomas Jefferson's personal items his initials are written T.I. Also if you were to pick up a "New Dictionary" back in 1740 you would have found that I and J had a single selection and not separate. The legend is that the French surveyor Pierre L'Enfant hated John Jay who was chief justice of the Supreme Court at the time, for his ruling on on the "Jay Treaty". Therefore snubbed him when he zoned the city streets by leaving out his letter J. History, never stops surprising me, it's so fun!
Another thing we have learned is that EVERYTHING in DC is more expensive. The best example is the price of gas. In Maryland you can get it at about $3.01- 3.05 a gallon, as you move into DC it rose to $3.45 just outside and then to $4.25 within the city! Scary thought right?!
1 comment:
Whoa! thats a lot of money for gas! Wow you guys are having fun Jealous@!!!
Post a Comment