Friday, April 6, 2012

It's From Just Eat it!

That is what one of the little nursery girls said, rather forcefully I might add, to David as she passed him a plastic carrot after he told he didn't like carrots that were from China (the carrot said made in China). This little girl will probably never remember being with us in Nursery but that little story will live on in our minds forever, really it was hilarious. I'm pretty sure she had heard her Mommy say that at least once.

Speaking of carrots, if any of you remember my post from WAY back about nutrition you will know that I don't particularly care for vegetables, at all. I love most dairy, fruits are tasty, bread is great, meat... ahh so good and of course my favorite part that little triangle at the top SWEETS!! But not so much with the vegetables. I like salad, artichokes, asparagus, carrots and broccoli (in that order) they are all pretty good, but I have been trying to add more. Eating mexican food is probably when I do my best with vegetables because I like the salsa and onions in my food.

One of the vegetables I have decided to give a chance was Kale. Its used at restaurants as garnish so I never realized people actually ate it. Turns out it is pretty darn tasty. We eat it as Kale chips.
This is how I do it- 
wash & cut it up 
(I cut out the middle stems because they are chewy and kind of gross)
toss it in olive oil
add some salt (I prefer garlic salt)
bake at 350 for about 10-15 min
Enjoy! If you do it right they have a pretty great crispy texture.

Well now that I am nursing and trying to lose some weight I have been attempting to change my ways. I started counting calories about a week ago and thus far have had some wOnDeRfUl results. The tough part for me is adding vegetables and protein that doesn't' have too much fat. Like cheese, I love cheese but it has so much darn fat in it and it is pretty high in calories too. 

Some other friends to my counting calories is flavored sparkling water and diet soda. I have found that if I drink one 33.8 oz sparkling water along with one nalgene bottle of water together they put me at 65 oz a day. My question for all of you is what is your favorite random vegetable? Also if you have a favorite salsa recipe PLEASE share, we like ours but I am dying for a new one. Lastly I asked everyone on Facebook if they had any good bean eating ideas (besides eating them with tacos) and I didn't get very many replies so if you have a couple of good recipes that you like please share. Basically share your ideas  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Kari, vegetables are my favorite things ever!! As for beans, lentils are so yummy and very good for you. One of my favorite recipes with lentils is this lentil stew:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2011/10/sausage-and-lentil-stew-slow-cooker.html

For salsa, my current favorite is The Pioneer Woman's restaurant style salsa. I don't have the link but you could find it on her blog.

Oh and this is a very tasty and meat-free taco filling using lentils:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tasty-lentil-tacos/detail.aspx

Good luck on your healthy eating adventure!!

nrjohnb said...

Kari,
Eating vegetables is a serious matter and shouldn't be done at random. If you're not careful, you might consume something disgusting like cauliflower, leeks, brussel sprouts, or peppers.

I recommend only eating familiar and dependable vegetables: green beans, carrots, radishes, peas, and corn. You may say corn is a grain and not a vegetable, but wait until Megatron is three and the only thing he'll eat is corn. Then you just define corn as a vegetable and *presto* he's eating his vegetables.

Of course, there's also the rule of the three kingdoms: if it isn't animal or mineral, it must be a vegetable.

Annie & JT said...

I love veggies! Especially in big salads. We've been eating salad with baby spinach since its healthier. And grilled corn is amazing too! We like to put some on salads too. I eat a lot of eggs for more protein since I'm not a big meat eater.

Maegan said...

I have been eating clean for 3 months now, trying to lose some weight and I use beans almost on a daily basis. We love slow cooker Mexican Chicken. Its chicken breasts, a can of black beans(I dont use the can beans generally beause of the salt), a can of corn (I actually use frozen corn because it has less sodium), a small jar of your favorite salsa, a TBLSP of cumin and a TBLSP of chili powder. You can pretty much mix it up however you want. We also enjoy white bean and chicken chili. And you need to try freeze-dried beans! They cook in 20 minutes!

Lyndsay said...

My two favs are roasted cauliflower (so good!), and asparagus with a brown butter sauce. For the cauliflower, you cut it up into slices and toss it in olive oil and a little salt, then bake it at 450 for about 30 min.
The asparagus, do the same (olive oil and salt, then roast it for 10 min or so in the oven), but make this sauce: brown 2 T. butter, then add 1 T. soy sauce and 1 t. balsamic vinegar. You'll die. It's so good.

Brittany H said...

I like most all veggies, but my favorite is lima beans I think dole from the can. And I eat them with a lot of butter. I don't even know if they are healthy to begin with so that may not help you out much.

But beans!!! Oh me oh my. We eat a lot of beans around here. Black beans preferably. They are our favorite. The recipies I've been using lately is from one of my favorite recipe sites (seriously everything tastes good) http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/07/quick-and-easy-black-beans/ That's the fastest version I think. We eat them on/with everything. Torillas and cheese, beans and rice, as a side dish to pretty much anything. anyways they are tasty. I bet they would be really good in salad too. I'll have to try that next.

More to Read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Visitors since June 2010