Macy Hazel Warden was born on March 3, 2014.
She weighed 7 pounds and 1 ounce and was 19 and a half inches long at 12:17 pm.
We named her after my Great Great Grandma Macie and her daughter Hazel (my mother's grandma). Also if you can remember Macie's wedding anniversary is the same as mine and David's and we were married on their 100th year anniversary.
I'm going to try my best to make this a shorter post mainly because I want to be sure to post about this, but I also want to go to bed :)
My due date was February 28th and it came and went with no sign of baby. Although that was the day my mom flew into Detroit and for a while that (day and the day before) I was getting some different sensations that I thought maybe would lead to having a baby soon. No. I really wanted to have Macy in February since both my brothers already have birthdays in March, but no such luck. And for whatever reason that really got me irritated and am publicly admitting to being on the grumpy side for the next couple of days.
On Sunday we stayed at the house and I got several sewing projects finished that I've been trying to finish for MONTHS/ since Davie was a little baby (true story).
The underside of this black changing pad literally ripped off in the wash when Davie was about 4 months old, I've been thinking I'd fix it ever since.
The downside was I sat down way too long sewing and by the end of the day I was hurting and just like the last couple months before there really wasn't much I could do about it. I went to bed around 11 pm or 12 am and woke up around 1-ish am after having some weird sleep/ painful dreams. So I pulled out my phone and started trying to see if what I was experiencing was in fact contractions. Turns out I was and by 3 am I decided to wake up David and start heading out.
We arrived at the hospital around 4 am and by the time I was checked I was at 8cm. However, after going to bed late, months of being in intermittent pain I was already done. So I very vocally insisted that I didn't want to go O-Natural this time. By the time they got me some meds it was around 5am and I was at a 10cm. That was of course when everything slowed down (seemingly forever).
Me looking SUPER Glamorous after I got my epidural.
David said that me having an epidural made him feel an all new kind of useless because whether I go natural or not he didn't/ couldn't really do anything. In fact at one point I think he told me he was bored, it was funny. He also may have watched me put some makeup on at one point while I was in labor.... there's no need for me to look totally horrible the day I have a baby right? After my epidural basically nothing happened until about 10 am. That was when they wanted me to start pushing, but my contractions had gone to every 10 minutes apart, which meant I only pushed like 6 times in an hour. So they put me on a super small pitocin drip of 1. Things finally picked up but that was when the doctor came in and we figured out why our little miss was taking so long. Her face was sideways.
A little later after some napping I felt better.
When the doctor checked me he said "ok I'm going to be checking your tonsils now" and wow even with an epidural it felt like it. That was when I became so glad I had an epidural and didn't have to deal with a sideways baby naturally. He was not my usual doctor, but he was really nice and from the same practice. The doctor told me about that time that he wanted to use the vacuum, which definitely freaked me out. I recently read a story about a mom whose doctor detached the baby's head so of course that's all I was thinking about because it's totally logical.
Obviously nothing happened, in fact the doctor told me that as soon as he spun baby's head she came right out and they didn't need to use the vacuum at all. My epidural this time was different then my first and it worked better on my right then on my left, however it still worked enough that I was as comfy as I could be. And last, but not least I was very thankful that I did not tear and I did not need any stitches this time. Now I keep teasing that 3rd babies must be the charm :)
David caught her and that was pretty fun. I can't imagine having David catch a baby if I hadn't had an epidural because it's a must to have someone at your side when you are doing it naturally. Because David's OBGYN rotation was a rural area he was never able to deliver any babies and he wanted to deliver Macy so he can now say he has delivered at least one baby while in medical school.
I feel like this post is not nearly as organized or as sentimental as Davie's was but it was a great day. I have more pictures, but I'll have to share them later.




3 comments:
Congrats Kari and how wonderful!!!!I love your posts. She is so beautiful and precious! I'm glad for the most part wasnt too difficult nor horribly painful and that everything went smoothly! YOu have a beautiful family! Just love ya!
YAY, she is here! I LOVE reading birth stories, some random obsession of mine. Congratulations! I was surprised that you didn’t decided to be induce, I kept thinking the last week of February, has she had her yet? :) She is beautiful, and you look amazing. Enjoy the snuggles and the tininess! Hope you are doing well.
Stephanie- I think women who enjoy birth stories just like to know what's what, if that makes sense. So I think you are totally normal :) I like to hear them too and compare, but also so I can learn new things or ask about doctors and all kinds of other stuff.
Post a Comment