Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Little Water Never Hurt Anyone

We have a 10x10 storage unit that we have been very quickly filling up in order to make our house as easy to clean as fast as possible, but also to help our place look as big as possible. Well this Friday David and I had spent our day being so very diligent about packing and cleaning (we had our relator coming on Saturday morning).Friday seriously just FLEW by but we got a LOT done and we were feeling pretty good about our progress. 
Frozen water on the ground
Once we had finally gotten to our agreed upon stopping point we loaded up the boxes we had spent all day packing into David's car and headed to our storage unit. Upon opening our unit we immediately realized there was ice/ water on the ground and that it covered a little more than half of the floor. Grreeeeat. 

Wet boxes that have books in them (my heart just dropped)
I won't go into extraneous detail, because it doesn't really add to the story, but the bottom line was nothing that was irreplaceable (like yearbooks or photo books) got wet. Also these pictures are lack luster at best since it was dark, but I think they rightfully portray our level of misery and work. The worst part was completely reorganizing our storage unit in the dark, cold, on slippery ice and in a super short amount of time. It took about 5ish hours (7pm until midnight) and I was not super helpful.

It was an easy fix for boxes that had material in them BUT I've since had to wash about 4 extra loads of laundry. Everything just takes so much time and effort! In the end David's brother again came to our/ my rescue and helped David move and re-stack all the heavier items. The good part is our storage unit is now SUPER organized safe from future incidents (we think) and more roomy (part of David's great organization skills). 

We emptied about 75% of our storage unit that night to put things on pallets and reorganize.
That wasn't the end of the night for David or I though. Around 11pm I took Davie and my little self home, laid Davie down in bed and just went to town on our place. We had scheduled with our relator to meet the next morning at 9:30. This phone call took place about... oh an hour before we realized our storage unit was flooded. 
So poor David came home at midnight and then joined me in the cleaning/ organizing, painting, shuffling, moving and everything else at our house. We stayed up all night, it was frustrating because before the storage unit flooding we knew we were going to be up late but after losing 5 hours we KNEW we were going to HAVE to pull an all-nighter. 
Some of you might be wondering why didn't just re-schedule our appointment with our relator and the answer is this was already our second visit with him to take pictures. The first time we met we went over basics, the second time we did paperwork to list the house and we were supposed to take pictures, but we just weren't ready.

David and I almost called to reschedule the second we saw the ice in our storage unit. For maybe two seconds. Then reality hit us and we realized with a baby being due a week away and my mom coming to visit pulling an all-nighter to just get-it-over-with was WAYYYY worth it. And it was.

This was all topped off on Monday when we went to go to our storage unit only to realize we had misplaced our keys.... It's no surprise since David was already a zombie after coming home at midnight from the storage shed. Then this morning as David was re-installing Davie's carseat and the new baby's in our car he looked on the garage floor and saw his keys. WHEW! Crisis averted, now to make copies ASAP!

I feel like so many incidents like this have been happening to us lately, and they all remind me of this Mormonad- 
Only the opposite... if that makes sense. All this kind of bad stuff keeps happening, but thankfully (so far at least) I feel like I have been able to say it all turned out in the end. Like on Sunday morning, when we realized that for some reason our stupid freezer door had popped open in the night somehow. I was really annoyed, and we did have to throw some stuff away BUT it wasn't as bad as it could have been, just like the water in the storage unit wasn't as bad as it could have been. I'm actually really proud of myself for being able to address these issues this way. It is so tough when you have a plan or action set out that is being executed so well and then "that one thing" happens. I'm learning that unplanned "incidents" can be lived through and as always they make great stories and conversation starters LATER, haha. 

Here's to hoping that in the near future your "incidents" can be lived through and laughed at as well!

No comments:

More to Read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Visitors since June 2010