Monday, January 10, 2011

Workin' for the WoMan

Just as a pre warning this post is a huge vent session, if that bothers you just stop right here. Thank you. Also know that I greatly debated on whether to post this because I really try my best to not talk about people when they aren't around, but this has been my biggest struggle lately.

As you all know I have been working in a salon now since the last week in October. I have a confession to make; I hate it. I am struggling so much with this job! Mostly with my boss, her and I have VERY similar personalities. Normally that isn't a problem for me but she is used to people not being reliable and so she is paranoid that I will not be as well. On top of that she isn't exactly great about letting me do my own thing in the salon. She will hover over me while I do a client and many times will finish the haircuts for me (and not with my permission). It is like watching someone eat while you are starving! I'm right there but I just can't touch/ have what I want. Uhhhhgggg! It is soooooo frustrating. I am trying my best to build up a clientele, but I don't really know anyone here so my days are slow.

 My boss is a great hairdresser, I'm not going to deny that, but I often feel like she doesn't think my work can stand on it's own. I'm not saying I never need help or that I am very fast, I'm just saying I feel like an adult that's been put into daycare. I can't stand the way she hovers over me she makes me crazy nervous. I can't complain too much about that though because I have done so few hair cuts/ colors since I got there that they aren't my main concern. Right now Randie (the other stylist) and I basically shadow Carrie (the boss) we get her things she needs rinse clients, clean, etc. I can't tell you how many times I go home thinking "why am I doing so much for this lady? I'm not even making minimum wage! I'm on commission and if I'm lucky I'll get $20 cash at the end of the day." I keep telling David that I wouldn't mind helping her but she is so mean sometimes.

For example a couple of weeks ago I washed a girls hair. Her hair was VeRy long and it just soaked up the conditioner right up. Instead of using more (thinking about trying not to use too much product which means trying to save my boss money) I rinse her hair out the rest of the way and take her over to Carrie so she can cut the clients hair. Well my boss takes a couple of strokes with the comb through the client's hair and then asks me "Kari did you condition her hair?" Me- "Yea I ran it all the way through the ends" (which was true). Carrie then says to the client "come back over to the sinks and I'll give you a proper conditioning"... wha? Are you kidding me?! My blood was boiling, it still upsets me to even repeat the story! Let's just start with the basics here #1- so rude to say that to the client in front of me! #2- such a low blow to think that after having my license for 2 year that I don't know how to condition someones hair #3- She could have just said "will you run some more through her hair please Kari?" or really a million other things.

That was not the first time she has done something like that she does it just about once a week, and every time she does it takes me convincing every cell in my body to not just walk out. She has the tendency to think I can read her mind. Like if she wants something done she will get all irritable but not ever say what it is that she wants (especially if there is a client there) and I am getting to the point where I just don't even want to figure it out anymore. If she can't be a big girl and use her words to tell me what she wants then she can just be irritable all day. My biggest problem with all of this is I do not have a thick skin and this contention all day just breaks me down. More often then not I can feel the tension in the salon all day. It's like the opposite of a good church day, at the end I just feel drained and upset. I could begin to name many more problems but so far the ones I have told you are my top issues.

So what do I do? How do you deal with a difficult someone who just so happens to be your difficult boss? Any and all ideas are welcome so please share.

4 comments:

nrjohnb said...

Kari,
I have several thoughts. First, every dollar you earn over the next three years is a dollar you don't have to borrow. Second, have you talked to your boss about your concerns? That doesn't always help, depending on her personality, but it might. Thirdly, read D&C 64:10.

It's never easy dealing with persons who don't respect you, or vice-versa. There are many downsides, but with patience and prayer, the situation might improve. Would you be happier working at a cash register at Walmart or McDonald's?

In my opinion, you need to work, for your own self-respect as well as financial well-being. Deidre worked while David finished medical school. Though she may not think of it this way, she has always had the knowledge and confidence that she could support her family if anything happened to David.

Do you enjoy working in your chosen profession? If so, I think you should make every effort possible to resolve your conflict with your boss. If that doesn't work, you may need to seek out another shop.

Whatever you choose, do so prayerfully. I would be happy to help if I can. You also might try talking to Deidre or your mother and seed their advice.

Uncle Bern

Hot Cookin' Mama said...

The only way to have a chance at things getting better is to bring it up. She won't change on her own without knowing you're bugged. And even if she does know you're bugged, she knows she's getting away with it because you don't say much. At first, I would just bring things up strictly as a money issue. Ask her what she thinks you're doing wrong where at the end of some days you're only leaving with $20. She'll probably react a lot better if you put her in the position of the one giving you advice and she might treat you in more of a guideful way. But, I don't know much about how the hair stylist industry works! :) Good luck!

Unknown said...

In all honesty with your talent and your schooling you should be making more than $20 a day. Are there any other salons in the area that would be a better option for you or is it all the same pay and not many choices??... if you can go elsewhere and have a better environment to work in then do so. If Steve isn't happy at work then the rest of us arent happy cause he is grumpy all the time. When this has happened he has had to either look for another group or figure out how to make it work and have a good attitude about it. Either way lots of prayer and fasting is what would help him figure it out. And work environment is really importnat to your health too....so pray about it, then talk about it with her, or find somewhere else to go but dont let it stay the way it is...not healthy for any of you!!!! As steve says " if it is to be its up to me" HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cailey said...

Bleh, not fun!!! Well, like most of the comments have already said, sounds like ya may need to talk to her. Not sure if you already have, and if things have been resolved or some sort of resolution. Just hang in there. When I was working for my other job in the Fraud dept, I had some hard days, and I realized I was coming home and chewing out Jeff for no reason, and realized it was because I was so unhappy at work or so stressed out. So things that helped me out was that I would read bunch of positive quotes every morning, and think about them through out the whole day, and just tell myself that I am going to have Positive "energy", and tell myself how wonderful things are for me, loving kind husband, and a great family who supports me. Thats really really frustrating what your going through! Also I realized saying my prayers through out the whole day also helps. Make sure you take your breaks and everything, those will help as well, to kinda break "away" from the work. I'll be praying for ya Kari! I love ya and wish you luck on this! Can be soo frustrating! I solved mine by just moving to a different department withing the company, soooo much better, much more relaxing and less dramatic!

More to Read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Visitors since June 2010