Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My Mommy Moment

Occasionally some of you ladies will post articles about being a mom, having children and all those other details that go along with it on Facebook. Some articles I really like others... not so much. Today as I was going through some of Davie's things that are too small or can be put into storage (we are getting a bigger storage unit and meeting with a relator on MONDAY!) I was remembering my biggest "new mom" hurdle. 
For me nothing about having a baby is that "gross" a little uncomfortable? sure. Less appropriate to talk about in some situations then others? Yup. A squeamish topic around men? Yes sir. But in reality its just a body process that (like many) has it's share of fluids. I was never taught that birth had no "yucky" parts. I just slowly learned how it worked and I was fine with it. Did that mean when I had Davie that I wanted the doctor to hand him to me when he was still all "wet". NO! But in that moment I quickly realized, oh thats not as bad as I thought it would be. I should also add that Davie was not as slimy or sticky as some babies are when he was born. I also realized he didn't stink, not sure what I thought it would smell like but it wasn't anything "gross". 
Must protect the blessing outfit!
Flash forward to having that new baby. I was prepared for baby poop messes, long nights, lots of crying and maybe even an "I don't care about myself" phase. Well not much of that ever happened. Instead I got the baby that literally spit up ALL the time for ALMOST the first year of his life. And not like "oh he drooled, how cute!" Like drench a blanket in one go, use 4+ blankets a day, outfit changes, drool by the pint (without teething I might add), buy 10 more spit up blankets, always doing laundry, and SOOO many bibs all the time kind of spit up. 
That picture of Davie right there was after he spit up ALL over had a yucky diaper and then peed on us. Whew! Talk about your clean up marathon. He literally wore out his bibs, we still use them even though the velcro on them does almost nothing. Turns out theres only so many times you can wash velcro before it gives up the ghost (four washes a day sometimes). That was so tough for me! 
Here I was thinking "wow this mom stuff isn't so bad", Davie wasn't so bad, I really felt like I had time to get "washed up/ made up" for the day. My bigger deterrent was the thought of Davie spewing allll over my "nice" clothes. And without fail most days that I actually got ready he did. Including a black lace shirt, it was gross. 

All of that basket is HIS laundry.
So as I was picking out the very boy spit blankets and leaving out the yellow, green and ducky themed ones for the new little miss I got the tiniest bit of dread at the thought of having another baby. What if she spits up the way Davie did!?! I'll deal, because I have to, but darn that would really stink. That picture of all the spit up blankets above doesn't do itself justice because there really are an abnormal amount of them, they are just really flat from being folded in their box for so long.
He was a happy spitter-upper
For the most part every baby has their "downside" some don't sleep their first year, others have colic, while others seem to have a curious amount of diaper catastrophes. I guess what I am trying to get at here is this is my official "putting what I want out into the universe" blog post concerning this next baby- please be a decent sleeper at least until my classes are finished and please don't spit up on me for the whole first year of your life. That's all I ask... for now. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am laughing so hard right now because Mona Jean was the exact same way. Like people would buy me burp cloths and I would laugh. They do nothing. You need blankets to cover your whole body. She puked up everything and some days I felt like she was the girl from the Exorcist with the amount of puke that came out of her. Just to give you some hope, Warren NEVER puked. Not once.

More to Read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Visitors since June 2010