So lately I have been in LOVE with smells. The joke around here is that I have pica, although in my defense I have no desire to eat the things I'm smelling, but I have seriously considered carrying around little scented bags so I could enjoy smells on the go. My newest favorite scent came after watching an episode of the Duggars last fall semester. On one of the episodes they talked about how they make their own laundry detergent. For some reason that really caught my attention so after Christmas festivities were over and our lives had gone back to normal I set out to try and make some detergent myself.
Apparently I am WAY behind on this because all the trendy pinterest ladies have been making this stuff for about 3- 4 years. The biggest difference between what the Duggars do and what I was willing to do was I did not want to have to cook/ melt my soap (too much work). So I set out to find a dry version. These are the two websites I got my recipe from-
http://www.howdoesshe.com/cheaper-and-better-diy-laundry-detergent/
http://wellnessmama.com/462/how-to-make-nautral-homemade-laundry-detergent/
It was really easy and fun, but the smell! Oh it is soooo good! I made two flavors one was with Dr. Bronner's lavender soap and lavender blossom Purex crystals
the other was pink Zote and Tropical Splash Purex crystals.
I never did take a picture of my tropical splash mix, but this is what the lavender one looks like.
You are really only supposed to put in 1-2 tablespoons per load but I love the smell so much I'll readily admit to using 3-4 scoops. Another plus is leaving the measuring spoon in the detergent makes for easy stirring and smelling of the detergent for my occasional sniffing sessions (oh how I wish I was kidding).
I'll spare you all the directions and details because there are literally hundreds of blog posts out there about this stuff. Most of the posts had the detergent in a cute little decorated mason jar, so when I decided to give some away that was what I looked for. Turns out Mason jars were like stupid expensive so for the same price I got these much fancier little jars.
After I tested it out on my own laundry I was ready to then share it with my Visit Teachees. It seemed appropriate to give soap as a little New Year's gift. Right? A clean new start!
My other new smelly obsession is the Eucalyptus Mint wallflowers. Another SUPER clean smell that I just CANNOT get enough of!
So now I have 5 Wallflowers (in our tiny place that probably only needs 2 or 3) all full of this flavor. I feel like its the best smell for trying to sell the house, clean and fresh! I realize this post is purely not personal and other than relating to pregnancy and my need to have clean smells it's kind of stupid but I had to share my new obsessions :)







No comments:
Post a Comment