Sunday, January 15, 2012

The New Dishwasher

Just in case you don't get it, the new dishwasher is ME! Poo! I hate washing dishes it really is my least favorite chore. There's just something about cleaning up cold coagulated and krusty food that I really despise. Just as David and I were nearing the finish line of projects our dishwasher decided to break. Luckily we got through at least one BIG load of dishes before it did. The night Mike and Lauren came and visited we got a lot of stuff dirty, literally twice as many dishes as usual ;)
This is David trying to see if the hoses are clogged, and of course they weren't. Every time the dishwasher ran it wouldn't drain, there would be 2 or 3 inches of water in the bottom and it was not cleaning the dishes properly. Also there was suddenly a rattling noise we had never heard before every time the washer ran. After looking it up on the internet we figured it was most likely a broken impeller (don't worry I didn't know what that was either). About a week later when David had time again he took the dishwasher apart and wah-lah, it was in fact a broken impeller. Here is what we think happened. 
I put my nice metal water bottle through the wash and the lid lost it's metal hinge, darn it. Honestly what are the chances? I was thinking I would have to throw it away because without the lid it was pretty useless, cue David to the rescue, as usual. He crafted a paperclip onto the lid to hold it together and my water bottle was saved!
The new paperclip hinge
I have come to the  conclusion that if this guy ever needs something to fall back on something besides medical school, chemical engineering or just plain being smart he could easily make money as a Jack of all Trades. He seriously figures out how to fix everything! Most of the time I'm glad, haha however, every once in a while though he will save/ fix something that to be honest I would have much rather been able to toss in the garbage. 
The original metal hinge
Back to how the impeller broke. David took apart the dishwasher and opened up the space that had the impeller and guess what we found?? My water bottle's little metal hinge and a broken impeller.
Nasty space the dishwasher goes in. David would like me to let you know that he vacuumed this space up before he put the dishwasher back.
Takin' stuff apart
 Broken impeller, basically all those little marks are supposed to have a half inch little fin on them. Those little fins help pump the water out of the dishwasher and into the drain/ garbage disposal. Like so.
Without those fins a dishwasher is pretty useless.  
This is a picture of the current state in our kitchen. Believe it or not I am actually not ashamed of the dirty dishes and I am about to brag. Between figuring out what was wrong finding the part and waiting for it in the mail all this dishwasher fixing stuff has taken about 2 weeks. Those dirty dishes you see above there are what I have to show for 2 weeks of David or I washing dishes. Also note that the left side of the sink has clean dishes. That is a pretty small pile for 2 weeks. AND to be extra honest I should include this picture as well...
haha our counter is so small we can't hold all of them. Back to why I am still actually quite proud of this pile of dirty dishes. This last week we realized that every time we washed dishes water was leaking out of the hose that is normally supposed to be attached to the dishwasher, creating yet another mess (at least it was under the sink). Anyways with no where for that water to go it was pretty gross so David and I had to resort to paper plates and using as few dishes as possible. And there you have it, I'm just glad the dishwasher was fixed before my Mama, David's Mom and Dad or our baby came. One more project finished!

1 comment:

Cailey said...

EEk! Good thing you have a good MR Fix it! :) haha I would just be like ok its time for a new dishwasher I guess.

More to Read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Visitors since June 2010