Monday, April 18, 2011

Dear Downeast Basics

Hello my name is Kari and I have a few things to say about your products. You are over priced, and the quality of your tanks are at best mediocre, especially the ones with lace. The only reason I prefer your tanks to the ones at the mall or any other store is that they BARELY (and I want to stress barely) cover more. You are charging people $10 -15 for a tank top; I barely spend that on short sleeve shirts! How could anyone afford to spend more on the undershirt than they did on the shirt to go over it? Your fabrics are so thin they get holes in them within 3-4 wears, so you can't use the argument that they are of better quality then a similar one at the mall where I could get TWO for $15. Not only that but your lace from both Modbe and Downeast is terrible and it doesn’t matter if you dry the tanks or not.
 For example I received several tanks for Christmas this year two of which already have holes in the lace and have NEVER gone through the dryer, and because I own so many tanks I know I have only worn them a handful of times.
Also I ordered clothes from you recently (February) and when one of the shirts arrived it had a hole in it. I sent it back and got another one. Then just yesterday after the FIRST time I washed another one it had a hole in it, which means I paid $15 for a shirt that I only got to wear to church twice. At first I thought maybe I wasn’t being gentle enough but I have clothes from places like Wal*Mart and Family Dollar that don’t have holes in them and I have worn them way more often and done much more vigorous things then go to church in them.
Your shirts LITERALLY come apart at the seams and I have a dozen holey shirts to prove it.
Two shirts that have holes in them
My "new shirt" washed ONCE
You used to sell your clearance at Seagull book and honestly I bought just about everything from you at that store. Your regular store is OVER priced if I want to pay $20 for a t-shirt I’ll go to the mall so that it can at least be a brand people who live outside of the Mormon bubble know. Same with your jeans, I can go to the Buckle and get NAME brand jeans for $50-60 why would I buy yours? You aren’t reaching your customers. My friends and I used to love shopping at Down East but lately everything is just so expensive we would much rather spend our money else where.

I used to think that as a company you were geared towards the “Mormon” population, my thoughts being based on the fact that you function and sell within that populace. Now I have no clue who you are designing clothes for. Most of your dresses are an inch and a half to two inches too short for an average Mormon woman to wear and still feel modest.  Every time I buy a shirt that is NOT a tank from you I have two options, it comes all the way up to my neck
 or the neck is too wide and it reveals my bra strap and my garments.
For a short while you had “the tank” with thick straps and everyone I know loved them and bought them to go under everything. Just like all your tanks they still could have easily used another inch at the bottom and a slightly bigger neck line but they covered us, without totally suffocating us; you discontinued them.
 I am in every way an averaged size person, I am 5”5, I weigh 127 pounds and I’m a little bigger then a B cup. When I buy women’s clothes I am typically a small; when I buy yours I’m a large.

 I can honestly say that unless your company starts gearing their clothes towards people who want to be able to wear an undershirt as an added way to feel comfortable and modest you will lose a large part of your clientele; including myself. I’m sure I will never hear back from anyone, but I hope you take it into mind when you continue your tanks and t-shirts, there is a great need for millions of people in this country to feel and be modest without breaking the bank. If not I will continue to buy less and less of your apparel and make sure my friends do the same.

Sincerely your fed up consumer,
Kari Warden

Dissatisfied

Not everyone will agree with me on this and that is fine. These are MY opinions that I believe to be based on facts. Anyone else who agrees with me feel free to write them your own e-mail and mention my name. Maybe they will actually start listening, and we can have clothes that ARE modest not almost, or as close as it gets. Their e-mail -service@downeastbasics.com

3 comments:

Cailey said...

NICE Kari! Well said! I've bought several tank tops, and I agree, they fray at the end with their lace. I've bought tank tops with lace from other places, and they still havent frayed like the ones from DE Basics! and I havent bought much from there, because i agree, they are too pricey! I've found better sales for cute shirts, from $10-$15 cheaper than what they sell from time to time. Why spend $15-$20 on one shirt when you can buy 3-4... or more shirts for the same price?! I feel your pain Kari, I do! thats just why I dont buy from there any more

Cailey said...

by the way,... did you send them pictures too?! I sure hope you did!

Heather Vickery said...

Good for you Honey! I've felt the exact same way for some time about these people! I refuse to buy from them anymore! As MODEST LDS women, it is already hard enough to find clothes to cover up all that needs covered. We DO NOT need companies claiming they have modest clothing and then end up disappointed when the clothes either A) end up immodest from the beginning or B) become immodest from infrequent, casual wear!
Way to stand up for the injustices of this world! You go girl!

More to Read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Visitors since June 2010