Thursday, April 3, 2014

All About Macy's First Month


I feel like I have failed this poor girl on her debut. I have taken LOTS of pictures of her and the one above is her at 4 days old getting her star treatment baby photo shoot. I just have not blogged about her very well. So here is the 411 on this new little gal that lives with us. 
First Bow.
Poor baby has the least amount of hair out of all three of my babies and I have already given her a hair cut. He top hairs have started falling out and whats coming in is SUPER blonde so she is pretty bald. And of course she has great hair in the back, so I buzzed it in hopes of preventing a mullet in the future. There was no way we could have avoided it otherwise haha.
Second meeting with Davie
About to head home. 
She wore all her newborn clothes for almost a month exactly and the same was true for newborn diapers. Basically we used the big box we had and then moved on to size 1. 
Beautiful flowers from her aunt and uncle.
My first at home peaceful mom of two moment. Davie hopped up on the chair with us while watching  one of his shows. (loved it)
Davie thinks she is so great. I am so relived, Truly.  His biggest issue is TOO much love, and the fact that he is a toddler so he is often quite dirty.
 When Davie wakes up in the morning or from nap after he calls out for Daddy the next person he typically wants to see is Macy. The same is true when he comes home from Daycare.
 However, after his initial smothering sessions he pretty much could care less if she's in the room. And I don't mean that in a negative way, but lets face it Davie is on the move and Macy is still in the "blob" stage as her Daddy likes to call it. Overall Davie seems to be adjusting well and I honestly think he enjoys the fact that I love on him smother him (as he sees it) less. 
First Bath
Macy's biggest issue is gas. If it wasn't for all those little bubbles in that poor little girl's tummy she would be the best baby ever. In general I think she is more laid back than Davie was. Even at that she only seems to have fussy times about once or twice a day. Usually late afternoon and right before/ after the last feeding of the night. Our best solutions for this have been some little gas drops in her tummy and Doterra DigestZen on her tummy. Both of these seem to really cut down on her discomfort. 
All dressed up for Daddy's match day
I complained on Facebook about her spitting up a while ago, but I think it too is related to the air in her tummy. The little lady got hiccups almost every time she ate for the first month. She gets them less now, but it can't be easy keeping at all liquid diet down with a new tummy sphincter and hiccups that rock all 9 pounds of your body :)
Another thing I have noticed is I think every now and then she can tell when she might spit up and she manages to hold it down. That may sound silly, but its totally true. At night after I would feed her and lay her back down she would make all these funny spitting up type noises and I would jump up every time because I thought she had spit up, but most of the time she hadn't. I'm not paranoid I just know the noises of spitting up and I want to clean it up so she doesn't go to bed wet. Davie would occasionally spit up everywhere and then be wet all over at night which made him cold. So far Macy has only done that once, but it was amazing. She soaked her whole front and back of the swaddler, I had to change the sheet in the bassinet, her little blanket and of course everything she was wearing.
She is a good sleeper about 80% of the time. When we first brought her home she would sleep 4-5 hours at a time at night. With Davie I was up EVERY 3 hours, but he always went back to sleep really well and he ALWAYS woke up 3 hours at a time so it was very predictable. Macy now sleeps a solid 5-6 hours already! The reason for the B grade as a sleeper overall is her random sleep interruptions.
 The first two days after we brought her home she didn't really sleep at all... unless she was in our bed. Then we decided to pre-heat her bed with a heating pad before we put her down. That worked instantly for about 2 weeks. Then she again stopped settling down. The next trick that worked for another 2 weeks was to put her at a slight incline in her bassinet. Now we don't really have any tricks and she has been doing ok, but she really struggles to settle down at night before her 5-6 hour bedtime stretch. We aren't really sure why because it isn't a hunger issue, as far as we can tell it's just gas. Overall it's been pretty good and there haven't been any major complaints, its just life with a newborn. 
Her  first social smile
Macy has already started to smile! I LOVE this. I still can't believe I caught it either. I don't remember how long exactly it took before Davie smiled on purpose, but I do know that when we went out to bless him he was 8 weeks old and he still hadn't mastered the social smile. Macy was a month old exactly when she started smiling. She seems much more tuned in with my face and my voice when she gets fussy.
 Its nothing specific just yet, because she doesn't always smile, but I can tell she perks up like a little animal when she hears me talking to her. One fun thing about her smile is we have been enjoying it ever since we brought her home. She is CONSTANTLY smiling in her sleep and it is soooo cute! When she gets really grin-y while she is sleeping we tickle her chin right below her lip and she will usually smile. Now that trick has been working to coax those social smiles out of her. 
Developmentally though she is SUPER strong and gaining really well. Davie did pretty good until about 3-ish months and then his spitting up went nuts. We tease that Davie is 70- 30% Christiansen to Warden and that Macy is 30- 70% Christiansen to Warden. I just hope that as they grow that switches ;) I'm sure Davie and Macy do too they are just too young realize it yet. One of the ways we realized Macy was struggling with gas was because she would stretch her legs straight and she was SO strong! That was also a reason why we decided she was more Warden is because the Wardens have BIG strong legs. She can already stand on her own, its a good thing we have tried to make sure she gets her vitamin D. And lastly she is just like her Dad, when she gets hot she gets really agitated REALLY fast, but she is also a warm body, much more than Davie was as a newborn. 
Her cry is very unique and is actually lower than Davie's was, some is because it's a little more quiet than Davie's. She is much more into eating. She was a good eater from the VERY start and learned to get down to business sooner than Davie too. When they talk about development they mention that after your baby learns to nurse they will eat faster and she is already there, which is great especially at night. The only downside is she will not take a bottle or a binky. We are still trying, but she knows what she wants and substitutes are out of the question. Also she HATES her vitamin D drops. They smell like a cherry type candy so they can't be too bad, but she chokes on them every time and spits them back up afterwards fairly often. Davie didn't like his either (which were actually worse because they smelled like a mineral vitamin and were not flavored) but he would just suck them down while making a disgusted face.
And for now that is Macy. She is doing great and we have loved having her here. So much in fact that I have greatly procrastinated writing my thesis. Aren't babies great?!

No comments:

More to Read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Visitors since June 2010